Sunday, March 29, 2009

Native American collection

I mentioned in an earlier post about my collection of Native American art-baskets, rugs, pots, etc. (See above.) So thought I'd show you some of my decorative shelves around the house. I've been collecting for years-a piece here and there. I've even written a poem about kivas and mesas top ruins. I must be part Native American but can't find any evidence in my genealogy only in my husband's.










A Kachini doll bought from a young Hopi girl in Santa Fe, NM-used to represent deceased ancestors in cermonial dances. The Native American flute I made in a class. The rock art image is from the Lost City Museum in Overton, Nevada-from Anasazis probably. The pot was a retirement gift from Ute Indians when my husband retired after working for the Bureau of Indian Affairs in Ft. Duschesne, Utah.


A Kumeyaay (from Baja California) basket made of willow branches with their leaves still on. They held acorns and were stored high in trees or behind rocks for safe keeping. Later the acorns were ground for flour. The willows contained aspirin in the leaves which was quite pungent and keep boring insects out. A large stone was placed on the lid to secure their food storage.



















This small Navaho wall hanging is based on sand paintings used by medicine men for ceremonies to restore health, purchased at Cameron Trading Post in Arizona many years ago-one of my first authentic pieces.

9 comments:

  1. I understand the draw you feel to aboriginal cultures. When I lived in Alberta, it was a part of my daily life. I don't have any native ancestry, but I have relatives by adoption in one First Nations family, and my ex is also aboriginal. Maybe I'll take some photos of a few things I have and do a post sometime. Really enjoyed look at all your treasures! Did any of them come with a story or a a provenance?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My great grandfather was from First Nations, I always wished I could find out more about him but haven't managed to do so. Great collection of treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the extra notes, Lin. I've never been to Fort Duschense, but my favorite drum/song CD is from the annual pow wow there! The basket is so beautiful, and I love that aroma!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your collection and all the history that goes with it....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your treasures are beautiful. I enjoyed the stories behind them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Learning about the resourcefulness of Native Americans, I am always amazed at their skill in making what they needed from what their environment provided. They live close to the Earth, and treat her as their Mother. They inspire me, and I too enjoy collecting their handicrafts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You really do have a beautiful collection of Native American crafts. I bought a rug like that also when we were in Arizona. I still love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your collection is precious! I love how each item they used or made had meaning behind it. Understanding the pieces in your collection warmed me up.

    I have a bowl that was given to me by someone. It has a pin hole opening and I never took the time to see who or why it was made; it's just beautiful and I've always just appreciated it for being just that.

    Thanks for sharing your collection Lin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoy the fact that you understand the history and purpose of your pieces. That strengthens your appreciation for them...and mine.

    I love the Native American way of thinking. I need to share the story that I've been asked to write with you. They are an illustrious people.

    ReplyDelete