Saturday, May 16, 2009

New website to me...

Just tried books.google.com and put in an ancestor's name from my Vernon genealogy "Ephraim Green" and found several books where my ancestor is mentioned. Now I'm going to try to get one book by inter-library loan that I haven't seen before: Over the Rim: the Parley P. Pratt's Exploring Expedition to Southern Utah, 1849-1850 written by Wm. B. Smith, published by Utah State University in 1999. It's available at a local University library in Cedar City, Utah nearby.

When you put in a name or word to search in all its books, it brings up the actual sentence where that word/s are found on a page from different books they have digitized in the google collection. In some cases out of print books not copyrighted, they will have the actual book there for you to read or where to buy it or get it from a library. It's an amazing world we live in. Try it, it's an exciting site.

8 comments:

  1. Wow! Thanks for sharing this news! It's always fun to find new ways to explore and discover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was fun! I tried it and found myself a few times:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool, you're ancestor is "famous"?? Do tell!

    ReplyDelete
  4. well, I tried myself and found under my maiden name my thesis on Israeli folk dance from my college days and with my current married name a history of my stepfather that I donated to my college BYU. Didn't know I was famous....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've done the same thing and it's been such fun to find so many relatives and some family history as well. Have a lovely weekend, Lin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, you have to love that. I am glad you have had success.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow..I am an author many times over..and I thought my name was unique..lol....

    ReplyDelete